Thursday, February 25, 2010

Turn, turn, turn...

I've had a few great realizations over the last few years. Most of them involve miniature foods and ridiculous cakes.

Today, however, I had a realization that doesn't involve preheating to 350. Student government elections are right around the corner, which means the big wigs already elected into student government are campaigning for next year. One of the guys in my Spanish class is a candidate and was handing out persuasive, free pens with his name and tag line on them.

While I appreciated his gesture and the time he took to speak to us, at the end of the conversation I still felt pretty unconnected and quite frankly, I felt indifferent.

Oh, how much has changed in a year.

Campbell's student government used to piss me off a lot. I allowed myself to become entrapped in the web of pride and ego that student government (on any campus) weaves. I cared so much because school was my life. Also, at one time I was editor of the school paper and had to keep a close eye on events like elections, so I was especially aware of the wheeling and dealing.

Okay, back to my point. This year I have no interest in student government. I have no interest in most, if any, campus activities. My lack of curiosity and passion isn't a result of boredom or ill will for anything... it's just that my life has a different epicenter these days.

My college life doesn't revolve around social activities and cafeteria food anymore. It's about making the best of these last couple months, graduating with good grades, finding a job and preparing for newlywed life with Elliot.

I've come to realize that every day of college doesn't have to involve silly pranks, staying up late despite homework and getting by on Raman Noodles. There comes a point where you have to begin turning the page to the next chapter. Just to take a peek.

The Byrds got it right with their song, and King Solomon (or whoever) got it right in the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 3 (NIV)

A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.


And now is my time to uproot.

1 comment: